The Charlestones were formed in 2014 at St. John's Lutheran Church in Charleston, South Carolina. An a cappella quartet consisting of Todd Monsell (bass), Brink Norton (tenor), William Purcell (lead), and Stephen Spaulding (baritone), they have quickly made a name for themselves with their trademark flawless intonation, rocksteady camaraderie, and wide variety of vocal styles. Some locations the Charlestones have performed include:
- Piccolo Spoleto Festival, Charleston, SC (2015-2017)
- Music at First Concert Series, First Presbyterian Church, Wilmington, NC (2017)
- Mt. Pleasant Blessing of the Fleet, Mt. Pleasant, SC (2017)
- Tuesdays Music Live Concert Series, Augusta, GA (2017)
- Fine Arts Series at Palms Presbyterian Church, Jacksonville Beach, FL (2017)
- Cooper River Bridge Run Auction Event, Mt. Pleasant, SC (2014)
- Ralph A. Johnson VA Hospital Memorial Day Ceremony, Charleston, SC (2016)
- City of North Charleston 4th of July Fireworks Display, N. Charleston, SC (2016)
- North Charleston Coliseum (National Anthem for SC Stingrays game), N. Charleston, SC (2016)
- Joseph P. Riley Stadium (National Anthem for Charleston Riverdogs game), Charleston, SC (2014, 2016)
Meet the Charlestones
Todd Monsell (bass) hails from Long Island and has called the Lowcountry home since 2006. Son of a soprano and a drummer, he began music at a very early age. Todd has two day jobs–Director of Music at Porter-Gaud School in West Ashley, and Director of Music at St. John’s Lutheran Church in downtown Charleston. He lives in West West Ashley with his beautiful wife Jessica and two sons, and enjoys tennis, hiking, geocaching, and travel in his free time.
Brink Norton (tenor) is originally from Birmingham, AL and graduated from Auburn University with a degree in Choral Music Education. After teaching music for 10 years in Alexander City, AL, he moved to the Lowcountry in 2007. Brink now works in the Communications Office and directs Upper School Choirs at Porter-Gaud School. He has performed all over the Southeast with various groups and as a soloist. He has a daughter (Brinkley, 16), and enjoys golf, fishing, photography, and tennis in his free time.
William Purcell (lead), the only Charlestone born and raised in the Lowcountry, started singing at an early age. He was a member of Charleston Youth Company from 1987-93 and the Middleton Singers from 1991-93, earning a vocal scholarship to the College of Charleston. He enjoys spending time with family, girlfriend and friends, and loves tennis and fishing.
Stephen Spaulding (baritone), born in Long Island, NY, moved to Charleston in 1983 from Memphis, TN as the youngest of 5 in a household whose parents met in a choir singing Beethoven’s 9th symphony. He has been the Bass Trombonist for the Charleston Jazz Orchestra since its inception in 2007 and has a studio of 50 private students on all brass instruments (except French Horn!). Twice a week he serves as the assistant band director at Moultrie Middle School in Mt. Pleasant, SC and looks very much forward to returning to his lovely wife Melissa and 3- and 5-year old daughters whenever life permits. He also enjoys spending any time possible with his 4 amazing stepchildren.